Variety of medium-late ripening potatoes "Margarita" was obtained as a result of crossbreeding of varieties such as Saga and Ausonia. It shows a high and stable yield on lightweight soils.
Potato "Margarita", or Margarita, is a mid-season, very productive variety of table setting. The tubers are formed quite large, aligned oval. The rind of potatoes of this variety has a reddish-pink color. On tubers there is an insignificant amount of relatively deeply located red eyes.
The pulp has a cream color. The description of the variety implies an increased dry matter content in the pulp, which reaches 18.7%. The variety is characterized by high taste.
Advantages and disadvantages
Potato varieties "Margarita" has many advantages, and the characteristic makes it very attractive not only for homestead farming, but also on an industrial scale. First of all, it should be noted that the variety is protected from pests and diseases:
- the variety is highly resistant to scab and high - to damage by speckled mosaic;
- very rarely observed late blight;
- high level of nematode resistance.
Potato under the mulch: harvesting
Depends on varietal characteristics, how potato tubers will be stored, as well as yield indicators. The yield is stable, in addition, this variety is characterized by:
- high marketability of tubers;
- excellent taste;
- suitability for almost all types of processing.
Unfortunately, like any other variety, Margarita potatoes tend to accumulate viral, as well as fungal and bacterial infections, which have a negative effect on yield and contribute to degeneration. Therefore, you should strictly monitor the quality of planting material and timely replace tubers for growing.
Scheme and landing time
Potatoes "Margarita" is quite simple to grow, and compliance with planting requirements allows you to get excellent yields regardless of weather conditions and climatic features in the cultivation region:
- Proper planting involves preparing the site for planting in the autumn with the introduction of the bulk of fertilizers and deep tillage.
- In spring, planting dates vary depending on weather factors, but most often planting prepared planting material is carried out when green medium-sized leaves appear on a birch.
- For planting, you should choose the time when the soil on half the bayonet of the shovel warms up to temperature values of + 8-10 ° C, and the soil itself will retain sufficient natural humidity, but will not be too waterlogged.
- When planting, it is recommended to comply with the standard ordinary pattern of 70x35 cm and deepen the planting material by about 8-10 cm.
- The optimal arrangement of potato beds in the direction from north to south, which guarantees maximum illumination for the entire volume of plantings and will allow plants to receive a sufficient amount of heat.
- Before laying seed potatoes in prepared planting holes, they should be supplemented with the introduction of high-quality peat moss and the addition of dry wood ash.
It is very important to use competently prepared seed potatoes for planting, which is less sensitive to temperature extremes and has a guaranteed high productivity.
Potato "Margarita" quickly enough against the background of other varieties closes the ranks. The plant looks very beautiful and retains the color of the tops for a long time. However, high productivity becomes possible with proper and timely care:
- After planting in the first two weeks, special attention is required to maintain the cleanliness of the site and timely removal of weeds, as well as the use of inter-row harrowing method.
- Malnutrition can be determined by the appearance and condition of potato tops. Timely conducting competent dressing helps to regulate the development and growth of not only the plant itself, but also potato tubers. It should be remembered that excessive application of nitrogen-containing fertilizers can significantly delay the formation of tubers and enhance the growth of tops.
- In the flowering phase, which is accompanied by the setting of tubers, potatoes are most in need of moisture.
- Watering potatoes is necessary at the first sign of drying out of the soil, after which it is recommended to carry out loosening and hilling.
- Before the first hilling, it is necessary to prepare a solution consisting of 15 g of copper sulfate, 0.1 kg of potassium salt, 50-55 g of ammonium nitrate, diluted in a bucket of water. Profuse preventive spraying of potato tops helps protect against late blight and other diseases.
About two weeks before the expected harvest, the tops should be mowed and removed from the site.
Potatoes in the sand
Potato "Margarita", according to most gardeners, has a stable yield in various agroclimatic zones, and also grows well on almost all types of soil and has good resistance to drought.
Positive feedback was received on potatoes of this variety due to the almost complete absence of risk of late blight on tops and tubers, common scab, leaf curl, X and Yn viruses, as well as cancer and nematode. The plant has excellent drought tolerance and even in the absence of watering forms large, salable tubers.